Tuesday, October 30, 2007

the magic number

I stood on the scale at the gym after a long, hard workout. I felt strong after working out in the weight area with "the big boys." It's funny how we can lead ourselves to thinking that because we've worked out for two hours and some-odd minutes, the scale will be a friend to us and reveal to us that our bodies have managed to shed four and a half pounds in that one session alone. Can't blame us, especially after all that sweat that came out of our pores--if sweating alone we're a cause of weightloss, we'd all be ten pounds lighter by the end of the day from all that running around we do for the madness that is our lives. In my Dreamland, that is what happens, unfortunately, I live in a reality where pounds are gained almost instantaneously. So, you can see where this was leading and the result was that I was nowhere near happy with what I saw on the scale.

The thing about balance scales is there is always that possibility of cheating. You convince yourself that the scale is balanced because, afterall, it is based on visual perception. Even if it's way off, as long as you resolve to the idea that it is balanced, it is balanced. So I sucked it up this time, refusing to "cheat" the scale and aiming for the truth. I balanced it and was truly saddened by what I saw.

No comments: